How is everyone?
South Carolina is toasty and humid!
And time is flying - we need to get this picnic rolling! Working on sending postcards this week, but would like to reduce the list down. WARNING - costs are going up. I'm also not sure how feasible it is for me to keep doing this, so if folks want to help, reach out. Getting up there now requires extra vacation and travel time. We'll see how the turnout is this year. If you want to help with nametags on that day, let me know.
Pioneers Picnic - August 3, 2023
84th Annual RG&E Pioneer’s Picnic
THURSDAY, AUGUST 3, 2023
Barnard Exempt Party House, 360 Maiden Lane
11:00 AM to 4:00 PM; food available from 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM;
Cash beverages and cash bar
$20 per person
Please pay in advance by Friday, July 14th, 2023:
1. Make check out to “PIONEERS OF RG&E”2. Please include names of attendees and Mail to:Molly Johnston1186 Key Island RdProsperity, SC 291273. You do not need to reply if you are not attending4. Please verify your mailing address - if your check and envelope show different addresses, let me know which is correct to use.
We do not receive any reimbursements from RG&E, so note that costs include:
- Picnic pavilion rental
- Picnic catering & gratuity
- Postcard mailings (if you've received a postcard in the past and never need one again, please let me know), I reduce mailings to only folks that have attended over the past few years (which still adds up to a lot).
- Pioneers website domain fees
I've added a tab to the top of the site with some web links.
People (aka the living!)
Please send me things to publish!
Email from Bob Gregory back in February:
This is a resent photo of new retires Jeff Hamond Chris Conway Bob Gregory Mark Major Daren Hitchcock Mark kemp Kenny Kovach Bob Anderson. We all met at Hose 22 Firehouse Grill for lunch last month and had great time. We try to meet up once a month at different locations.
Some pics/posts from Facebook:
Hot Topics from the Facebook group "RG&E Pioneer's Club"
There is a very active Facebook group that you should consider joining if you aren't on it, I think the reach there is much more than this newsletter!
Here are some discussion highlights/topics -
- They post obituaries and deaths
- They vent about changes at RG&E
- Lots of chatter about the RG&E billing issues
- Russell Station retirees get together on some Wednesdays for breakfast
- There are posts about accounts, benefits, phone number questions
- There are posts with pictures - some old memories, excerpts from old RG&E publications, xmas cards, etc.
[Not necessarily in order. Sourced from Facebook posts, Legacy online obituary notifications and emails to MJ]
Legacy online has changed to a paid subscription service recently, so I will no longer receive emails from key word searches for online obituaries. So the best I can do at this point will be to collect info from the Facebook group and emails that folks send me.
From Harry Standhart today:
Anton "Jim" Richmond Passed in early May only a few days before his 97th birthday.
Jim was an employee in Electric Distribution Engineering, (Joint Facilities).
He was a combat medic, serving in the Philippine Islands, 1945-46. He was wounded
in June 1946 and spent six months in hospitals before his discharge.
-Harry Standhart, Electric Distribution Engineering and T. & D. Lines.
Newsletter & User Maintenance
See "Subscribe" tab on this webpage.